Thursday, August 28, 2014

From the Binder- Javy Lopez

Seems like some other bloggers are running across this too, but this has been a busy week and as a result I've missed a few days blogging.  I've really enjoyed posting since I've started the blog as it's given me a reason to look through my collection and remember some of my favorite players who have retired.  I've got some insert cards coming in the mail soon that I'm excited to share and some other ideas in the works.  I also need to get my want lists in good shape and put up some kind of trade list.  There's a lot to get done with the blog in the coming weeks!

You might notice a trend in some of the players I am blogging about- quite a few have been a member of the 1995 Braves World Series team.  I'd like to share some cards of the catcher of that team (for everyone except Maddux), a 3-time All-Star and MVP of the 1996 NLCS, another player on my favorite team from the 90s, Javy Lopez.  Javy was another player to come through that AAA Richmond with Chipper Jones, Ryan Klesko, Mark Wohlers and others.


The cards in each row have something in common with each other that is absent in the cards on the other rows... can you tell what each row has in common?

Each card in the first row shows Lopez with a bat in his hands.  His 1993 Topps card tells us that Javy was signed by Jorge Posada, the father of Yankee catcher Jorge Posada.  It also shows stats from his minor league years, although he played 100 games for the Richmond Braves in 1993 and this card shows his stats through 1992.

The 2000 Topps Stars is one of the few in my Lopez collection that actually show his swing.  The back of the card gives his hitting 4 stars, power 4 stars, speed 1 star, defense 3 stars, and arm 4 stars.

I've made it no secret that I appreciate vintage looking cards, and this card from 2001 Upper Deck Vintage is no exception.  Maybe I'll go after some Oriole and Brave team sets here.


This row shows Lopez in his catchers gear.  I like this first card from 1995 Pinnacle Zenith because the back of the card shows you where each hit from the 1994 season went.  Pretty neat idea for the back of a card.  Based on this chart, Javy sent more hits to left field against right handers than any other location and pitcher combination.

As mentioned, I enjoy the transparent cards and one from 1998 Topps Tek is an interesting one.  Apparently there are a bunch of different patterns for the background of these cards.  This could seemingly be a nightmare for player collectors if they decided to go after each pattern.  I don't think I'd have the patience.  This is a cool card nevertheless.

I remember opening several packs of 1996 Pinnacle being excited to pull some of my favorite players.  I'm not as fond of this set design now as I was then, but it still brings back good memories of opening packs when I was younger.


Now... the many faces of Javy.  All three of these show Lopez running the bases.  Not too much to say about these other than speed was not his strong point.  He stole 8 bases during his whole career.

Another reason I appreciate Lopez, not only did he play for the Braves, but he also played for my other favorite team, the Orioles.  I'd like to add a card or two of Lopez in an Orioles uniform to my collection soon!

1 comment:

  1. My first lesson in Spanish pronunciations was reading Alejandro Peña's card from the '91 Upper Deck set, and my second was looking at Javy Lopez cards. "Hah-vee"? It didn't make sense to my elementary school mind. Man, those faces are pretty rad.

    ReplyDelete