Friday, October 24, 2014

Slide Into It- Triple Play 97

I've always enjoyed sports video games. Any sport, I like them all. When my parents gave me a playstation when I was 10 or so, one of the first games I picked up was Triple Play 97.  To this day it still might be my favorite sports video game.


Tony Gwynn graced the cover, a 12 time all-star at that point in his career. 


Here's a video of the gameplay from Triple Play 97. I still don't think you can beat the simple gameplay. I enjoyed competing in the Home Run Derby mode with my dad, us each picking a team of sluggers from the time, among them Mark McGwire, Griffey, Albert Belle, Andres Galarraga, Sheffield, Sosa, Frank Thomas, etc... The fun part for us was you could move the batter around the batter's box, even while the pitch was on the way. So we were able to slide forward into the pitch while taking a power swing for even more power. Fun times!

I recently picked up MLB the Show 13 for Playstation 3 to get my baseball video game fix. My oh my how games have changed since the first baseball game on my original playstation.


While the graphics are obviously superb, the gameplay isn't all that different on the most basic modes. Maybe it's time to pull out the old playstation and play some home run derby. Slide into it! 

What are your favorite sports video games?

3 comments:

  1. Me and my brothers were HUGE fans of Triple Play 99, the first one we ever got our hands on. We didn't have any game stations though, we just played it for PC. We got Triple Play and Madden every year that they had it for PC, but they eventually stopped.

    In college, I went to a thrift store and found Triple Play 99 and played it for 12 hours straight - only slept for two hours, was dead tired for classes the next day. Figured that I better get rid of it before I let it destroy my already fragile GPA, and tossed it. Now, whenever we go to the thrift store, I check the old games area to see if it's there. Haven't found it yet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Might as well pick it up on the bay ;) ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Triple-Play-99-PC-1998-/380677913276?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item58a22bfabc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment in my blog today about my dog. I really appreciate it.

    I looked at your player collections, and I can send you a bunch of cards that you need. Let me know what you might have in return for Brewers, and also shoot me an email at off(dot)hiatus(dot)baseball(at)gmail(dot)com with your address.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete