Saturday, July 30, 2016

Collecting Firsts

A recent ebay purchase marked some collecting firsts for me. Let's get go from the lesser firsts up to the major firsts.

Collecting First #1: First card from 2016 Stadium Club


Before I pick up any base cards from 2016 Stadium Club, I've actually added an insert to my collection. Couldn't be happier with the player, either. Betts has easily become the most exciting player for me to watch. And this is a strong insert offering from Topps.  This one reminds me of a mid-90's Fleer insert set of some sort, the font in particular. Take a look at this insert set from 1995-96 Fleer basketball. I know it's basketball, but the font on this Mookie reminds me of the player name font on that insert set, and others that are similar I'm sure. I'm only referencing basketball because during the mid-90s that was my main collecting focus.

Collecting First #2: First baseball autograph purchased on ebay


So far I've stuck to inserts for ebay purchases and the occasional game worn card, and honestly have tried to stay off of ebay altogether, but once I found one card I wanted, I looked for other cards to make the shipping worthwhile. While the Bordick doesn't fit a specific need for my collection, it's a sharp on-card auto of a player I enjoyed watching in the 90s. Reason enough for me to place a bid.

Collecting First #3: First autograph of a current Braves system player


I wish I could leave the word 'system' off this one, but Wisler was just demoted to AAA Gwinnett. Wisler will bounce back, I'm sure, after he gets back on track in the minors. Sharp card though with an on-card autograph.

Collecting First #4: First Ryan Klesko autograph


Definitely the most excited about this Klesko autograph from 2015 Archives. Really like the design and another on-card autograph. I was long overdue for a Klesko autograph to add to my biggest baseball player collection. 

A successful ebay purchase, indeed. Combined shipping makes for a whole lot better bidding experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment