Friday, April 21, 2017

Hitting the Gaps Part 2

Another round of hitting the gaps, where I try to track down cards I've missed from recent years and add them to my player collections. This round is for Mookie Betts.


Betts has three cards in The Future is Now set from 2014 Topps. I received the 3rd one in a recent trade but was missing the first two in the set. These are sharp looking cards, really like the glare effect in the bottom left, with the blurred background. 


These two from 2016 Allen & Ginter are the rare cards where the backs are more interesting to me than the fronts, although the fronts look sharp.


Really neat to see the list of Red Sox to wear #50 as well as other notable MLB players to wear the number.

Also neat to see 'The World's Champions Boston Red Sox' on the back. Others may disagree but I think it's a neat callout on the back of the card, regardless of which team is the champ in the current year.


I had the Topps Series 1 card, Opening Day, Opening Day blue, but had not picked up the Chrome, the mini version, or the card from Update. Still missing plenty of parallels of these cards.


Sweet group of cards from 2016. My favorite of the three is by far the Future Stars Topps Chrome insert. Love the stained glass look. This would be an insert set I would try to complete if I were to choose one. The card also scanned surprisingly well.


My second 2017 Betts card to appear on the blog, with many, many more to go. I have fond memories of the Gold Label brand from the 90s. Sadly the 2016 version doesn't stack up to those cards in look or feel but it's still nice that the brand saw a return.


The Rainbow parallel of the 2017 card above, and two other cards from 2017 Topps put me off to a solid start for picking up Betts cards from Series 1. I wouldn't really consider 2017 cards 'gaps' yet since they are pretty new but still glad to add them to the binder.

I'm now caught up on getting new Betts additions in my binder and up on my player collection page.

No comments:

Post a Comment