Monday, January 5, 2015

Christmas Break Highlights

I rarely open packs these days, instead opting to purchase individual cards online or get them in trades. I was pretty much giddy when I found my stocking filled with a stack of packs of baseball and basketball cards. It was a special time opening these with my wife. I thought I would share some of the highlights from the packs.


Some inserts and parallels from Topps Series 2, Update series, and Donruss Series 2. I enjoy seeing the red parallels and would like to pick up some of these of my teams. I am thinking the Braves will look pretty sweet. As unexciting as the Donruss base cards are, the inserts and parallels are impressive.


Up next some Braves from Donruss Series 2. I included the Bonifacio as the Braves traded for him in August. He hit an unimpressive .212 with the Braves in 41 games, but the whole offense was a mess the second part of the season so can't get too down on him. He hit .279 for the Cubs before the trade. These are my first cards of Simmons and Bonifacio.


New cards for me of Chris Davis and Chris Tillman from Donruss Series 2. Hoping Chris Davis will bounce back in the new year. Looks like the Orioles and Tillman are talking extension. This is only the second card of Tillman in my collection.


Next up a few cards from Topps Update of Braves who are no longer with the team. Floyd started 9 games for the Braves during May and June before having elbow surgery. He signed a one-year deal with the Indians last month. And David Carpenter pitched 65 games in relief for the Braves with a 3.54 era and 3 saves. He was just recently traded to the Yankees along with Chasen Shreve for pitcher Manny Banuelos, who seems worthy of taking a chance on at just 23 years old.


Lastly from Topps Update, my first card of Rubby De La Rosa. How does he fit into my collection, you ask? He was the starting pitcher for the Red Sox in the game my wife and I saw at Fenway on our honeymoon back in June. Rubby got the W for the Red Sox, who won 1-0 on a sac fly from Mike Napoli. I was sad to see Rubby traded to the Diamondbacks with Allen Webster for pitcher Wade Miley. I think the Diamondbacks will be glad to have him as a back of the rotation starter.

I pulled some base cards of some stars as well such as Jose Abreu and Yasiel Puig. I appreciate any chance to open packs, and them being a Christmas gift from my wife made opening them even better.

Hope you all had a great Christmas and spent lots of time with your loved ones. Have a great 2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment