Saturday, July 17, 2021

First Card in 2021 is Unleashed

It's been awhile, baseball card blog community. Almost two years, and the sports card landscape has changed tremendously. For most of the two years it's been very difficult to find packs and boxes to open at the usual spots. Only now are they starting to pop up online and in person again. But as I always mention after a long time away, I'm never really out of the hobby. Inevitably I'll see a card I like, or watch a piece of a game (stringing together 3 consecutive hours to watch a full ballgame is tough these days), and it will lead to me browsing ebay looking for a particular card. 

When it comes to baseball, I of course prefer to see logos on the cards I pick up, but it doesn't stop me from collecting Panini cards as well. And some of the insert sets coming from some of the Panini brands are too good to pass up. I of course would love a Downtown insert of Mookie Betts, but can't justify spending on one of those. But I came across the Unleashed insert set from Donruss, and what do you know, my favorite Red Sox player and first time All-Star Rafael Devers appears in the set, and it's affordable to the lower-end collector like me.

And next thing you know, boom. First card purchase of 2021.


This is the Vector version of the card, unnumbered but that's ok with me. It's awesome- a bear, a lion, a snake, this is a card that my 4 year old son (who is enjoying cards with me now), can get behind too!

After buying this card, I decided if I was going to re-enter baseball card land in this crazy time in the hobby, I really had to narrow my focus. I'll always enjoy opening the occasional blaster or a few packs of the latest product showing up in retail stores, but as far as who I'm chasing, I'm going after cards in the following categories:

1) Greenville Drive former players (Class A Affiliate of the Red Sox), from last 8 years or so, including player collections of Mookie Betts, Rafael Devers, and Michael Chavis. For the former Drive players, I'm mostly after base and inserts.
2) Freddie Freeman player collection

I'll also occasionally add to Cal Ripken Jr, Ryan Klesko, and Nick Markakis player collections.

I'm trying to get a specific want list together, mostly for my own benefit so that I know what I'm looking for when I'm browsing my usual card sites. 

Glad to be a part of the baseball card blogging community, however sporadic my posting habits. 

Question for you all out there- What's your favorite lower-end insert set? Year doesn't matter. 

2 comments:

  1. I've liked a couple of the Topps Opening Day inserts the last couple of years (not this year tho, they're boring).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Opening Day does have some interesting and unique inserts, good one! I'll have to pick some of these up.

    ReplyDelete