Monday, August 25, 2014

From the Binder- Smokin' Smoltz

Continuing to share some of my collecting interests by getting card stacks into binders, I'll move onto one of the 'Big Three' in Atlanta during the 90s/early 2000s, John Smoltz.  Although I don't think it was a common nickname of his, I've always called him Smokin' Smoltz.  I won't go over his accolades as I'm sure if you are reading this blog you probably already are familiar with his career as a starter and closer.  I never did see Smoltz pitch in person, unfortunately, as his time in Richmond was when I was too young to know that baseball even existed.  


On his 1990 Donruss card you see a younger Smoltz without all the facial hair. Apparently there is an error card out there that shows a young Tom Glavine with an MVP background and John's name at the top.  If there's another card from 1990 Donruss to add to my collection, I'd say that's it.

The next two are Stadium Club releases from 1999 and 1997.  I thought the 99 version was a nice shot of Smoltz throwing right towards the camera.  The 1997 I added because that was a Stadium Club design I wasn't all that familiar with.


When I was younger I was all about trading for cards from Topps Gold Label, although I couldn't afford to buy packs of them for myself at the time.  Glad to have this version in my collection.

I was more limited to my good friends from Collector's Choice.  I've got a number of these All-Star Connection inserts from the 1997 set.  Again, the scan doesn't do the card justice.

Again, the scan on this 2000 Pacific Prism card just isn't as impressive as how the card looks in hand.  Maybe at some point I'll go after some of the parallel versions of this card.

The current Braves have a good staff of starting pitchers despite some injuries, especially some guys who have unexpectedly had pretty great years for their salaries such as Aaron Harang.  But it would take a group of special players to top the trio of Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz.

No comments:

Post a Comment