Monday, September 15, 2014

Sizemore in Boston

As I mentioned in my first post on this blog, my wife and I took in a Red Sox game against the Twins on our honeymoon in Boston back in June.  Rubby De La Rosa, a promising young Red Sox starter, gave up just 1 hit in 7 innings to help the Red Sox get a 1-0 win, the only run scored on a sac fly from Mike Napoli.

While at Fenway we decided to pick up some souvenirs for ourselves as well as family and friends. We both decided to get a player t-shirt.  I advised my wife to get a Dustin Pedroia shirt, a safe pick. His contract with the Sox runs through 2021, and even if he leaves Boston in the near future, he's had a great career with the Red Sox.  We had also seen a shirt earlier in the evening that said 'Pedroia the Destroia', which made my wife feel good about this pick.


For my shirt, I wanted to get a shirt that less people would own, but I also wanted a player that I was familiar with, a player that I liked.  Well I saw the name Sizemore up on the wall, and that was a name I knew and a player I liked from his days in Cleveland.  I knew he was coming back from some injury troubles, but I remembered he had won a spot as a starting outfielder to start the season and had started off pretty well.  I did note that he wasn't in the lineup for the game we were currently attending, but I figured he was just getting a night off and we might see him as a pinch hitter later on. While what I knew his about his early season start was true, what I didn't realize was that he was hitting .216 on the season and had played his last game for Boston the day before.  

For those of you keeping track, here is the timeline:

Sunday, June 15th- Grady Sizemore plays his last game for Boston, going 0-4 with a walk and a strikeout.
Monday, June 16th- My wife and I attend a Red Sox game, where I purchase a Grady Sizemore t-shirt.
Tuesday, June 17th- Grady Sizemore is designated for assignment.

Ouch.  And so I present my Sizemore Red Sox #38 shirt.  I'd say I got what I wanted, a pretty unique shirt.



I'm pleased to report, however, that Sizemore is hitting .283 through 48 games for the Phillies since being cut by the Red Sox. 

Is this story reason enough to add Grady Sizemore as a player I collect? I think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment