Tuesday, September 9, 2014

An Uxpected Wonderful Football Weekend

I'm veering from my typical baseball post to share my joy from the weekend with you.  This won't happen all that often, but as I used to write a basketball blog and enjoy college and NFL football, an occasional post on another sport might slip in from time to time.

This past weekend the unexpected happened. My alma mater Virginia Tech upset the then 8th ranked Ohio State.  This would have been enough as this was as big a win for the Hokies as any they've had since I started school there in 2004. But my favorite NFL team, the Buffalo Bills, also upset the heavily favored Chicago Bears, both games on the road!  In honor of these wins, I want to share with you some of my Hokies and Bills collections.  Today I'll start with part of my Hokies collection!  Get excited!

I definitely won't cover every single Hokie that's played in the NFL here.  Sadly I have no cards of Bruce Smith and a few of the more recent Hokies in the NFL (Tyrod Taylor, David Wilson, Logan Thomas).  Most of the collection focuses on players who were there when I was in school, and some the years leading up to that.


First up we've got Corey Moore, defensive end who had 35 career sacks, and was an All-American and won the Bronko Nagurski award for college football's best defensive player in 1999.  I love this card because Corey happened to get drafted by the Bills in the 3rd round.  He didn't have a long NFL career, sadly.

We've also got Andre Davis who played receiver, scoring a touchdown in the 2000 national championship game for the Hokies against Florida State.  A great punt returner as well.  The Hokies went 39-5 while Davis played for the Hokies.  He was drafted in the 2nd round of the 2002 draft and also played for the Buffalo Bills in 2006.

Last, one of my favorite Hokies, Ernest Wilford.  He left Virginia Tech as the Hokies all-time leader in receptions.  He had a great pro career, mainly with the Jacksonville Jaguars, scoring 14 touchdowns for his career.


Next up, a great Hokie running back, Kevin Jones.  He paired with another Hokie back Lee Suggs to form a ferocious running back combo, called 'The Untouchables'.  KJ was drafted in the first round of the 2004 draft by the Detroit Lions.  He had a great rookie season but struggled with injuries during his pro career.


Another favorite of mine, the first defensive back featured here, DeAngelo Hall.  DHall did some of everything while at Virginia Tech, scoring touchdowns on offense, defense, and special teams.  He was 2nd-team All American in 2002.  Hall is still playing for the Washington Redskins and is a 3-time pro bowler.

In a future post I'll share more of my Hokies collection, showing off some autographs.  Tomorrow I'll be back with a baseball post.  

2 comments:

  1. Virginia Tech looked good! I miss when WVU and Virginia Tech played each other every year. Last I heard we are still slated to open the season in 2017 against Tech at Fed Ex Field. Also, the series is supposed to get a home and home, but not sure what the dates will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we played each other every year. What a great rivalry. One of my favorite games as a student was against WVU my freshman year. Here's a link to the box score.
      http://www.hokiesports.com/football/stats/showstats.html?6009

      Delete