Thursday, September 18, 2014

Jeter Against the Orioles

This will be one of the few Yankee related posts you'll see on this blog, but if I'm going to post on any Yankee, it may as well be one that has certainly represented Major League Baseball with class, Derek Jeter.

Jeter has likely taken his last swing in Camden Yards. his possible last at-bat coming in the 8th inning Sunday night in a 3-2 loss against the Orioles and Andrew Miller.  He went 0-4 in the game, but finished his career at Camden Yards with 184 hits, most from any visiting player.  Funny enough, Kelly Johnson, who's already played for the Yankees and Red Sox this season, had the walk-off hit for the Orioles. It seems unlikely that the Yankees make the playoffs at this point and the odds are even slimmer that the Orioles and Yankees meet in them.

When I was younger I received a complete set of 1993 Upper Deck as a gift, probably a birthday or Christmas present, I can't recall. One of the better cards in the set is Jeter's rookie card, although I don't think it's worth as much now as it once was.


Looks like some of the other prospects include Carlos Delgado, Cliff Floyd, Manny Ramirez, and Charles Johnson. Pretty good group when you add Jeter as well. I appreciate the simplicity of these cards.

One of the few Yankee cards I am glad to keep a part of my collection. As the fans at Camden Yards did over the weekend, I applaud Jeter for a great career.

Back to non-Yankee posts tomorrow!

1 comment: