Friday, September 5, 2014

Braves in Stained Glass

As mentioned in an earlier post, I've been on the lookout for some unique inserts of the players I collect to add to my collection.  In that post I noted that the Stained Glass Stars insert set from 1996 Studio had caught my eye.  Fortunately some Braves are found on the checklist.  I was able to snag a few of these for a fair price off ebay recently.  


These cards are razor thin and extremely delicate.  They were so thin that it was difficult for me to get them out of the scanner after getting them uploaded.  As you can see these cards aren't in perfect condition, but all of these that I saw on ebay had some kind of flaw.  The small marks you see on these are about what you can expect if you look to acquire them.  Outside of these, the background of these cards are beautiful, and luckily the bright scans bring out the best in them.  You can definitely see through these cards, and what's hard to see in the scan is the stained glass portion of the cards have a texture that mimics the texture of actual stained glass.

I would guess that for 1996, this was a pretty innovative design, part of what makes this set attractive to me 18 years later.  I'll look to pick up more unique insert designs of my favorite players.

What are some of your favorite insert sets over the years?

No comments:

Post a Comment